Meal maker or soya chunks – 100 gms
Small onion – 20
Garlic – 5-10
Tomato – 1
Ginger – small piece
Coriander powder – 11/2 table spoon
Chilli powder – 1 table spoon
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Lime juice – 2 tsp
Salt – to taste
Cardomom – 2
Cinnamom – 2 small pieces
Clove – 2
Brinji leaf – small piece
Curry leaf – little
Sombu or fennel seed – 1 tsp
Coconut grated – 3 to 4 table spoons
Sombu – 1 tsp
Small jeera-1 teaspoon
Cashews – 10 ( or pottukadalai 1 table spoon)
1. Boil 4 cups of water and soak the meal maker balls in hot water for 10 minutes. Drain the water. Wash in cold water. Squeeze out the extra water and cut to 4 pieces.
2. Keep a pressure pan in the stove and heat one tablespoon of oil. Season the gravy with the items given under ‘for seasoning’.
3. Now add chopped onion, crushed garlic and chopped tomato and sauté for few mins.
4. Add coriander, chilli and turmeric powder and mix well in low fire.
5. Now add the meal maker pieces and mix well.
6. Add 3 cups of water and add required salt. Close the pan and leave them to cook for 6 to 7 mins in medium flame.
7. Keep grinded the items given in ‘to grind’ to a fine paste.
8. After pressure subsides, open the cooker and add the grinded masala. As the curry boils, the gravy will start thickening.
Note: If gravy is too thick you can add a cup of water. Also check for the salt and add if required.
9. Add lemon juice at the end after turning off the stove.