Chow-Chow – 2 nos
Moong dhal – 1/2 cup
Grated coconut – 2 tsp
Jeera – 1/2 tsp
Green chilli – 2
Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard – 1/2 tsp
Urad dhal – 1 tsp
Turmeric – a pinch
Salt – as required
1. Half cook the moong dhal and keep it.
2. Cut the chow-chow to small pieces and add them to the moong dhal and allow it to cook.
3. Add turmeric and little water. Do not add much water as this vegetable will give out water when cooked.
4. Grind coconut, jeera and green chilli to a fine paste and add it to the cooked chow-chow.
5. Add salt and mix well.
6. Allow it to boil and garnish with roasted urad and mustard.
Chow-chow kootu or subji serves as a good side dish for chappathi or can be had even with rice.